Easy Holiday DIY & Our Fave Stocking Stuffer Ideas
We’ve been looking everywhere this year for simple and cute Christmas stockings and honestly (after going to every possible store) all we could find were hideous red and green stockings with way too many tacky details… We finally decided to buy really simple white stockings and then we felt they needed a little more magic. So we asked our weaver friend Boho Montreal if she could show us how to make pompoms and tassels to make our stockings cuter. Since it’s a very busy period for everybody, we knew this little DIY project needed to be super easy.
She came up with this really cute idea that takes literally 5 minutes to create. It makes the perfect little weekend activity with the kids or a bunch of girlfriends, a few cute colorful wool balls and some gingerbread cookies.
- What You need:
- Wool skeins (preferably bulky yarn and medium size yarn)
- Wool needle (a needle with a big hole)
- Regular size needle and thread.
- Gingerbread cookies , optional 😉
- DIY Fluffy Pompoms
- STEP 1: Take your biggest wool size and just wind it around your hand. It’s way easier if you use bulky wool.
- STEP 2: Remove the “yarn” from your hand. Take an 8″ (20cm) piece of wool and tie it in the middle with a regular knot. (See below)
- STEP 3: Cut both ends with your scissors and then fluff it out. You can trim your pompom to perfect your pompom’s shape.
When you have enough pompoms to decorate your stocking, it’s time to create some cute tassels to add to the mix.
- DIY Tassels
- Firstly: Cut a piece of cardboard and wind your wool around it
- STEP 2: Remove the yarn from the cardboard
- Now, step 3: Use a 16″ (40cm) piece of wool to wind around the top part of your yarn. (see figure 4. of the above picture)
- STEP 4: This is what your tassel should look like. Follow the steps below.
- Figure A: Cut the end.
- Figure B: Thread an 8″ (20cm) piece of wool using a wool needle. Make a knot at the end.
- Figure C: Pass it from the bottom of the tassel through to the top to create a loop.
Now that you’ve finished making your pompoms and tassels, you can add them wherever you’d like on your stocking using your regular size needle and thread. Tadam! Your stocking is way cuter 🙂
Our Favorite Stocking Stuffer Gift Ideas:
1. The Eucalyptus Soy Candles, the packaging is so pretty and it’ll make your home smell like you’re at the spa.
2. Handmade ceramic plates by local artist Cybele B Pilon. They are simply stunning.
3. Our Sage lavender & Rose smudge sticks. Good vibes only!
4. A Moroccan Ceramic Mug for your favorite coffee or tea lover.
5. This fluffy Wall Hanging handmade locally by Boho Montreal.
Hope you guys will try this easy Holiday DIY project. Tag us if you do! We’d love to see your creations.
*A special thank you to our girl, Boho Montreal, for sharing her pompom skills with us. Who knew it was so easy!